Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Great Start to an Amazing Summer


Geogia was great! I love adventures and experiencing new things and this trip did not disappoint. The trick to this trip was to get by solely using the MARTA while in Atlanta. MARTA is the public transit system. I love taking the train. The buses were fine-but I'm a slightly impatient person and would rather walk than wait for a bus-most times we coordinated our schedule with the buses-but there were a few times where my patience was worn thin-(15 minutes is my limit) :) I loved arriving at the station just as the train pulled up and getting whisked off to my next destination. Though I have to say by the time we got our rental car at the end of the week for our road trips I was SO ready to be done with buses and trains.

While we were in Atlanta we visited the Federal Reserve Bank and learned all about "monetary policy"; the Botanical Gardens and learned of all the beautiful flowers we will never grow in Southern Arizona; the Atlanta History Center where we toured what a typical pre-civil war farm would have really been like and a post civil war antebellum beauty The Swan House. This mansion depicted the wealth of the reconstruction era with plenty of gilded mirrors, marble floors and unparalleled landscape architecture. (The Swan House was one of my favorites). While at the Margaret Mitchell House the kids had a chance to type on a "real" typewriter. We saw not 1 not 2 but THREE Whale Sharks at the Georgia Aquarium swimming in a tank of Manta Rays and hammer head sharks. SO AMAZINGLY COOL! I tasted about 40 different soda pops from around the world at The World of Coca Cola. We learned it doesn't take much for a little monkey to out maneuver zoo keepers and enjoy several hours of freedom at the Atlanta Zoo. While at the High we viewed some of the most beautiful cars that have ever been engineered, and reaffirmed how irritating modern art can be and how lovely American art was in the 1800's. While at Six Flags I learned two things 1) Insisting that my son go on the most scary roller coaster in the park was actually a good thing in that it helped him have an insanely good time the rest of the day. Conquer the worst first and the rest is a piece of cake. The Georgia Scorcher was defeated TWICE-and I'm pretty sure Noah was one of the youngest riders ever-he just made the height limit thanks to the extra moisture in the air creating a little more volume on the top of his head. The second thing I learned was that walking around in the pouring rain with my family singing "Hey There Delila" at the top of our lungs in search of the perfect chili dog while the rest of the park patrons scurried out of the park was actually more fun than riding the rides at the park. On a side note-because we stuck it out and the park cleared out Hannah got to ride all by herself-(meaning NO ONE else was on the ride)on a splash coaster. She said it was awesome.

I revisited my birth place and birth home in Columbus Georgia, and completely fell in love with Savannah Georgia and the Atlantic coast. Savannah has all the charm of a little European town, all the history of colonial settlement, all the romanticism of the South and layers upon layers of picture postcard views around every corner. Live Oaks and Spanish moss will haunt me forever. As far as the Atlantic goes-BATH WATER!!!! Jared and I will definitely be revisiting Savannah. I also learned that Walgreens can be the most fascinating place to spend hours in. Greeting cards have really come along way.
I am happy to be home-it's nice to look out a horizon. Georgia was beautiful-and I'm grateful that in some small way I get to claim a piece of it as my own.

No comments: