Saturday, June 26, 2010

Am I 33 or 34?

Oh, that's right I was 33 last year. With each year that passes it's easy to see the changes that occur in my children. They usually have grown an inch or more, doubled their vocabulary, advanced a grade and appreciate a slightly more refined sense of humor. It's not so easy to see my own progression. What have I accomplished in this year, how have I grown? I don't quite know-and that is a problem.

I have noticed how I have changed as a mother. I don't stress as much that's for sure. I don't feel guilty for having a lazy day.

I don't really care what anybody thinks. I can share my testimony easier because of this, I get taken advantage of less and have very restful nights (when baby allows). Yep, I'm good with that.

I have also learned I can put as much as I want on my plate as long as I remember to savor the main course first meaning my family, and the gospel; and if I need to save the sides and dessert for later or just nibble at them for a time, it's okay. In fact I can even freeze those leftovers for a day when I have room for them. This makes me feel peaceful.

I dropped ten pounds of my last prepregnancy weight-but I owe that one to labor and nursing. Maybe this year I will lose ten more pounds with hard work and diligence.

I have become a better visiting teacher, I visit at least half of my sisters every month. Maybe this year I will visit the other half on my list.

I have rediscovered cooking. I seem to go in stages with this. Some weeks I am a very enthusiastic cook and make great dinners. Other weeks...not so much. This year I have been cooking with lots more unfamiliar fruits and vegetables and bulk items which has propelled me over my grocery store rut. In fact I just finished blanching and peeling 20 lbs of tomatoes for soup, salsa and spaghetti sauce. I loved it! ?It almost had a therapeutic feel to it. Thank you bountiful baskets.

I did experience a new place... "The South" Georgia to be exact, and loved it.

So, thirty four...Not sure what lessons this year will bring. I hope to be a better version of myself by the end of it though; a better mother, a better wife, a better daughter, a better sister, a better friend. I loved 33. I hope 34 is just as full.

3 comments:

Sorena said...

This is one of my all time favorite posts.
Great writing, great insights.
I love you!!

dhillman said...

hope you had a good celebration

Emili said...

How did I miss your birthday! It sounds like you had quite a productive year! I on the other hand just realized that I am 31 and I've been telling everyone for the last 6 months that I am 30. And I still feel guilty for those lazy days - when does that go away!? I hope you had a fabulous day! Happy belated Birthday!