Tuesday, July 28, 2009

An American Mind

I'm decluttering again. I have this big black filing cabinet that we have been toting (hauling)around for the past 10 years full of stuff we never look at. So today I decided to tackle the project. In doing so I have come across a lot of neat odds and ends. In many ways it's a history of things I felt were important-things I thought I may need to reference to in the future-things I would want if libraries and the Internet were no longer available. Basically if I had to flee to a cave but had time to bring along this filing cabinet and had to teach elementary school science and art and almost every church auxiliary program- I would be prepared. Well, after ten years I'm ready to part with the contents in this filing cabinet. (Did I mention I have a decades worth of warranties too). YIKES! On to my great find...I have a chapter on women from the book Theodore Roosevelt: An American Mind. The chapter ends with this statement:

"The woman's task is not easy-no task worth doing is easy-but in doing it, and when she has done it, there shall come to her the highest and holiest joy known to mankind;and having done it, she shall have the reward prophesied in Scripture; for her husband and her children, yes, and all people who realize that her work lies at the foundation of all national happiness and greatness, shall rise up and call her blessed."

2 comments:

dhillman said...

That is a great quote! I still can't get rid of all my files. I have been weeding out a little at a time, but I still worry that we might need to teach without the internet! And now I think about my girls needing the fun stuff.

Emili said...

Can you come to my house when you're done?