"You sure have been doing alot of research about grocery shopping lately, maybe you could do some actual shopping..."
Now if you know Jared, you know this was said with a huge grin and twinkling eyes. We spent quite of fews minutes laughing together at what appears to be an outlet for OCD behavior. I assured him there was a reason for the madness- cleaning out the refrigerator, freezer and
reorganizing the pantry was all in preperation for executing the plan....
So I decided to give the plan in our book club book the High Cost of Eating a whirl and see if my own shopping habits have really cost us. So far I'm not convinced. Part of the plan is to compare prices of items you buy regularly. I decided to also really take a look at how much we consume and throw out. So I'm on week two of not doing any major gorcery shopping. We did buy milk (2 for 4.00) and some bananas (30 cents a lb) to suppliment our dwindling supply of ready to go food. I baked our last chicken breast last night and plan on using the last of the year old frozen stew meat tonight. I've been on a bread making kick for the last couple months and have been grinding wheat from our food storage. I'm sold on that. I love the bread and it makes our home smell yummy. It's funny how something that appeared so intimidating can end up being so routine and satisfying. I have to say I've lost a couple pounds not buying and consuming what sounds good-rather finishing off what we have in the fridge even if it's only lettuce peppers and carrots. Then again I've always been a salad and bread person...Now the part that is trying my wonderful husbands patience is me not buying anything until it is on a really good sale. Then stocking up. Well the ads came out yesterday- not very promising. Looks like we'll be eating a lot of asparagus...
We are planning a trip to Hawaii and I'm trying to prepare and save for some shore excursions-like flying over Kauai in a powered hang glider, and scuba diving in Maui. I think Jared will be thanking me for this endeavor in frugality when he's gliding past waterfalls and coastline and diving next to Manta Rays. Bring on the asparagus and tomato soup. Time to lose some weight and save some cash.
-Mel
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
sounds like a good plan--i am sure he will appreciate your efforts to make that cruise memorable. i am excited for you, we had so much fun. we definately want to to it again. it was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime, but we can't leave it at that. there has got to be more.
here is something that we do sometimes. i let each family member look at the adds and come up with an idea of one thing they want for dinner, based on what is on sale. Then between the meal and left overs we can go for almost two week, because there is always one night of eating out over the weekend somewhere!
I love that idea! Thanks. Hannah and Noah will love getting to pick from the adds. I've found it's helping me get out of my recipe rut too. Pork ribs are on sale 99cents a pound. But I've never made country style pork ribs before. I checked out the internet for recipes-gotta love the internet. Last night I steamed asparagus for the first time. It was great!
Post a Comment