Sunday, January 30, 2011

...and on to February!!!!

January was a pretty great month all in all. Judy and Marlin came down for the first couple weeks to help us with a house project. Wait wait wait. I need to back up. I'm using the word help very loosely. Let's try that again. Marlin and Judy came down for a couple weeks, and Marlin framed, and stoned our living room wall. It was alot of work so much more than what Jared and I anticipated and without Marlin here the project would have ended up as follows. A 2 month project that would have been a mess, that we would have had to hire out to fix/finish and would have cost us more than what we could have afforded. Our kids LOVED having them both here, and it was a sad afternoon when they came home and asked where Grandma and Grandpa were and then remembered that they had left. I am not only grateful for the beautiful wall we have in our front room, but for the fun memories that were created. Bradeigh's face lighting up at the site of grandpa or the sound of his diesel truck rumbling up the drive way. GRANDPA! GRANDPA!!! Late nights playing Chicktionary with Grandma. We miss them alot and need to think of another project...hmm or maybe we should go up and help them with a project...















So that's how we began our month.

We ended the first month of 2011 with a new experience "THE PINEWOOD DERBY" and an annual tradition visiting the gem show. I am so happy we were able to spend the day with my parents. We had a terrific time with them. The gem show was fun. Noah helped his friend Preston sell fruit to the vendors, and we purchased a trilobite and an ammonite for our fossil collection. Hannah and Noah split a couple geodes and they did not disappoint. Blue agate with a a center full of beautiful crystal formations. I love how the vendors take the time to make it a special experience. For example they don't just crack the geodes and hand them over. The crack them, keep them closed until they are facing the anxious new owner then slowly open it up to reveal the treasure inside. It's pretty thrilling. :) We also had fun checking out some meteorites and comparing the magnetic resistance.

Before all this we experienced Noah's first PINEWOOD DERBY!!!!! He has been so excited. I have to admit I wasn't as excited as he was. He didn't know that-but truth be told I was wondering how much of the morning we would have to spend there. Well, funny how quickly my fickle heart changed watching my son beat the dreaded silver bullet and watching his face change from anxiety and trepidation to disbelief and amazement as his car won OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. The cubs lined up cheering his car on "Cobra Cobra Cobra" he looked like he was just going to burst. He ended up 2nd in his den and third over all in the troop. He was a very happy boy. I was a very happy mom, so happy for him and his great experience. He also finished up all his Wolf achievements and got his badge and a few arrow points, his astronomy belt loop and his leadership ribbon for the BSA 100 year badge. Yep. Noah had a really great day.

Oh! I almost forgot! Hannah and I went and saw WICKED! It was great. We loved it.

No comments: