Thursday, September 9, 2010

Current Events

I decided it was time I started adding in my thoughts on current events. I print this blog out as a journal and I'd like to look back and have my posterity look back and see what some of the issues were of this time and what my thoughts on them were. So the next few entries will be on events that are weighing on my heart right now. I won't be offended if you leave a comment contrasting to my opinion. I appreciate different lights being shed on the subject. Unless I'm having one of those days..then I will probably curse your name for at least 24 hrs or maybe 48 then I will be over it.

Regarding the controversial Mosque in lower Manhattan-


My personal feelings without looking into the subject were these: If it's private land it's private land-if it is zoned for a church/community center there should be no prejudice. As per the Newt Gingrich article stating that we don't see the Middle East allowing Christian churches etc... Well we are NOT the Middle East and we don't dictate or inhibit religion. I would like to think that we as Latter Day Saints will never undergo the persecution that was so prevalent at the hands of "Christians" during the early stages of the church, and our ability to build chapels and temples will never be infringed upon. I love the United States of America. I love that I have the freedom to worship. I also loved this article. http://lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/respect-for-diversity-of-faiths.

In many ways I feel the liberties we hold so dear are repeatedly mocked. Whether it's through the general good will of America being taken advantage of or our free speech being thrown back in our faces by anti-american slurs filled with hate. Should we stop being benevolent? Should we limit those freedoms to those who believe as we do. By doing that "they",being the countless terror organiztions, will have won, Satan will have swayed us. That reminds me a little of the impact I felt during President Uchtdorfs conference talk concerning not judging others reasons behind seeking out the church. Maybe we are being mocked and used-maybe those hearts will still be softened.


I thought this was an interesting article from Fox News
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/08/17/kt-mcfarland-ground-zero-mosque-god-september-obama-imam-feisal/

"So while some see a mosque near Ground Zero as a commemoration for innocents who died; others could claim it as the place where Islamic terrorists triumphed. The Ground Zero mosque will have an athletic facilities and youth outreach programs, What guarantees do we have that it will never be used, officially or secretly, as a recruitment station for terrorists; that jihadists won’t lurk in the background of its athletic facilities and youth center recruiting potential suicide bombers? "

I know for a fact that a local mosque here in Tucson has had terrorist ties. Jihad has been setting up camp and recruiting for decades. Publicly funded charter schools are used to further Islamic and sometime radical Islamic agendas. Even our very own Sonoran Science Academy. If you wanted to look into it google Daisy Education Corporation. So our American tax dollars are going to further the cause of a Islamic and Turkish political agenda? That could be maddening if you think about it long enough. What are we going to do about it. Are we going to let them make fools out of us? Are we going allow these schools to exist? If we limit our tax dollars to those schools we must take them away from all charter schools. Some would say-let education go completely private-no public education. I'm not on board with that- yet. I was talking with the wife of our Bishop that has sent one of their daughters to Sonoran. She volunteered her feelings about her daughter having to take Turkish and having Islamic teachers. She said that maybe someday in her daughters future she will be a missionary in that region. Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. But it did make me think after she had said it.

After looking into the Park Ave Mosque-this is what I found- 1. It's blocks away from ground zero. 2. It not a Mosque it's an Islamic community center with a prayer room included. 3. I was curious about how many Muslims dies during 911 and found that many including Muslim EMT's Paramedics and Firefighters died in rescue attempts and their families pray daily at the site. I would hope no one would look at them with disgust or treat them with unkindness. I like to think (and I don't care if it's being naive) that through the goodwill of our country, through our example of love the hearts of the world will be touched and true Christianity will be spread. I couldn't believe it when I heard The First Presidency had been in a type of negotiation with China. How wonderful for the people of that country. http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/59807/China-official-looking-to-improve-relations-with-Church.html

This is an exciting time to live. If we truly believe that the Gospel will be shared throughout all nations before the second coming of Christ we have to know that it will only be done not by force but by gaining respect and trust through kindness and diplomacy. Pitching a fit over an Islamic community center, crazy people burning sacred books of other peoples faiths paints a very poor picture of Christianity and of Americans. We are great. We are better than that. I'm getting really tired of the media showcasing these things rather than all the wonderful things our country does and is doing on a national and worlwide level. I am thankful to have the foundation of our countries inspired constitution and the Gospel of Jesus Christ in times where my emotions run high.

3 comments:

dhillman said...

In general I don't have an issue with the "mosque" at ground zero--same idea of freedom of religion. It was extremists not all muslims practicing their religion who were involved with 9/11. Then I hear other reports about the name etc that make me angry, worried about if we are being mocked etc. So it is hard to make a decision without wanting to make exceptions.
I was totally frustrated by the talk of burning the quran. That is like burning the Book of Mormon because a portion of our members went crazy-a stake or region. Then the crazies who offer death threats and it just never ends.
I didn't know about the Chinese report, which is the best thing of all because it means we are getting closer!
I have a hard time staying in the game. I try to be informed and be involved and then I just get so sick of all of the crap-pardon my language-that I just plug my ears for a while. It is so frustrating to work at something and then feel like it gets no where. But I know I need to stop doing that.

jenny said...

thank you, melanie! i totally agree with your post. i've done a lot of reading on the "mosque" aka Park 51 and pretty much agree with everything you have said. those protesting Park 51 are setting a dangerous precedent with their opposition. it's eeerily similar to those who protest lds temples and meetinghouses. that's interesting about sonoran. i did not know students were required to take turkish. why not spanish or chinese? those languages would be far more applicable to use in our society. i'm going to have to talk to you about that.

Green Family Blog said...

Hey Jenny!

They do offer Spanish at Sonoran. I believe the students are required to take at least a semester of Turkish. Why Turkish? It's my understanding that is because most of the teachers are from Turkey. I know that is especially the case with Accelerated Learning Lab Charter School.