Saturday, January 5, 2008

And the award goes to......

The award for first to spot a wild animal in the new year goes to Hannah Green. Jared worked Urgent Care today, and the kids and I were feeling a little cooped up so out we went to enjoy the incredible weather; Noah on his scooter, Hannah on her bike and I followed with Bailey. Our favorite route is the the loop, it's about a mile or so each way and passes over a few bridges and lots of natural desert area. Noah sped along leading the way. Hannah trailed close behind and I fought with Bailey trying to train him to walk by my side. After the first mile I hear Hannah excitedly yell out to Noah- "Noah you just rode pass a Jaguar and didn't even notice!" What did she just say? I thought hurrying my pace. I had just read an article about Jaguars being spotted in the Boboquivery Mountains just 30 miles south of Tucson. She must be playing a trick on Noah in attempt to get him to slow down I assured myself. Hannah had turned around and was peddling toward me with excitement in her her eyes. "Mom I just saw a jaguar, well maybe not a jaguar it looked more like a coyote." She said exasperated. "Hannah, a coyote looks like a dog a jaguar looks like a cat", I reminded her. "Did it look like a cat or a dog?" I asked.
"Yes it's a cat, but not a normal cat", she explained. She showed me the bush next to the sidewalk it had been laying under. I looked into the desert and sure enough a bob cat was sauntering toward another bush. It walked under some brush, turned, sat down and watched us for a moment. "That's a bobcat Hannah". I looked down at Bailey who was completely oblivious, busy trying to pull ahead to get to Noah. Hannah looked up at me smiling nervously and asked, "Mom, bobcats don't want anything to do with us right?" I reassured her that the bobcat was more interested in finding a new napping location further away from the side walk. We reached Noah who was grinning from ear to ear boasting his accomplishment of not only beating us but beating us by a lot of minutes. Hannah told him of the bobcat, thus dashing all joy that had accompanied his great feat. Noah soon got over it and resumed his position ahead of us while Hannah hollered after him, "You should slow down and enjoy the desert, so you don't miss anything!!!!!!!" The rest of the walk was pretty uneventful minus the 95 year old woman in a walker that Bailey had a conniption over. A bobcat he fails to notice. A 95 year old woman in a walker he reacts to as if she posed great threat. Oh Bailey.......

All for now,

Mel

1 comment:

dhillman said...

Very funny! Thanks for the laughs. Oh Bailey...but Hannah and Noah are HILARIOUS!
It sounds like Christmas was very nice. I am glad you were able to spend so much time with your family.