Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas Week

Well I began the week with a kidney infection, and ended it with a kidney infection and a broken down Suburban... Yuck!
If there was ever a week to be sick and have the car break down this was it. With Jared home all week it gave me the opportunity to go to the doctor and rest a little. We had big plans for this week but enjoyed a little R and R. I think I'm on the mend and Izzy (the Suburban) is in the shop. Yea! Hannah and Noah are very proud of Silvy (the Altima) for doing her best to tow Izzy. Hannah remarked today that Izzy likes to play and tease daddy by starting sometimes and not starting at other times. She also said that Izzy is really thankful for her Christmas present of getting all fixed up. The kids attachment to our vehicles is really helping us with our goal of no car payments ever again. We'll see how long we last. Though Noah did look behind him when we were towing the suburban and remarked "well maybe we could sell Izzy, she keeps breaking down", only to evoke a look of horror and disgust from Hannah. The ultimate betrayal...

We had a wonderful Christmas morning. The kids woke up to find there stockings full and a thank you note from Santa for the milk and cookies all a top a gym mat that they failed to notice until Jared and I asked about it. Noah was most excited about his red mittens and Luke Skywalker action figure, Hannah was most excited about her locket and mittens. My parents and brothers family came over for Christmas breakfast and we exchanged gifts. This is the third year we have done this and it's quickly turning into a tradition I love. The menu has changed from year to year, but I think we are sticking with Jareds eggnog french toast. Mmmmmmm
Later in the day we ventured over to my aunts home to enjoy Mexican food and several rounds of Guitar Hero. I played once and found I enjoyed my place as spectator much more than getting booed off stage by a disgruntled crowd of animated glam rockers.
The next day we took a trip out to Dripping Springs to visit Hannah and Noahs Great Grandpa and Grandma Hays. While out that way my mom, Amy and I took a little side adventure to the old ranch house that my mothers family owned for a time in the 70's. The ranch house was originally built around 1930 for Pearl Hart a woman who gained notoriety from her gun slinging, stage coach robbing days of the late eighteen hundreds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Hart. I'll write another post on the Ranch house another time. Too creepy to to be in the same post as Christmas.
My favorite activities of the month were having my family over for a turkey dinner and going to see the live Nativity production, our caroling party, and Christmas morning. This is the first year I had ever gone caroling. We invited about 5 families over went caroling around the neighborhood, then enjoyed a potluck Mexican food dinner and visiting. Five minutes after I had made the arrangements and invitations I panicked and wanted to cancel. But...in effort to challenge myself and attempt to step outside my comfort zone I resisted and am so glad I did. We had a wonderful time and plan on adding it to our Christmas traditions.
It has been a wonderful month full of lessons and experiences reminding me of this amazing gift of life I have been given. So many opportunities to grow, so many reasons to be hopeful. I am grateful for the friendships and the inspiration those friendships have brought into my life. I hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas. We miss you!

Love,
Mel

No comments: