Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hot mornings and 100 influential people...

Hannah is now the sick one in the house. 103+coughing. Yuck, poor thing. I wish it would have hit each of us sooner rather than so much time in between. We are ready to be healthy!

Noah and I went out running this morning. He does really well. On our way back he was pretty tuckered out. I pointed out people walking ahead of us and asked him if he wanted to beat them. A smile spread across his face as he picked up the pace then broke out into a run I could hardly keep up with. We passed the first couple who applauded his efforts-and hollered after that they wish he had his energy. Then we saw another couple and did the same thing. Though by this time Noah was wiped. He would pass them, then we'd slow down to a walk until they caught up then Noah would jet off again looking back with that smile of his.

We finished strong but were so HOT. He's been playing in a cool bath now for an hour.

I took this time to read up on the news and pop culture and e-mails of the morning and I came upon Time's 100 most influential people. Stephanie Meyer made the list at 73 I think just after Suze Orman.

Jared thought this was ridiculous in fact it went something like this "What! For her silly little fiction books." I tried not to take it personally. But I defended her and her silly little fiction books as being more. Especially given the time we're in. So what do you think? What is your opinion on Stephanie Meyer making the list of top 100 most influential people in the world this year? I say way to go and good for you! I'm almost certain she is blushing a little being on the same list with George Bush and Vladmir Putin. Blush away Stephanie! Have fun with it!

On this same note Harold McGee was number 46. Now I had never heard of Harold McGee but his book On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen has really intrigued me. I'm super excited to read it. SUPER excited! Check it out...http://www.amazon.com/Food-Cooking-Science-Lore-Kitchen/dp/0684800012/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

Time to make Noah get out of the bath. I'm sure he is beyond a raisin by now.

-Mel

5 comments:

Me said...

I have to say the whole idea of being on a list of 100 most influential people would be fun. Jared needs to lighten up a bit, after all, it is only for a year. It is not like they are saying she is one of the most influential people to ever live. A year is a mere drop in a bucket. I probably would not have included her. What has she influenced? A bunch of teenagers (and some..ahem..grown women) to swoon over a fictional man. If that is the criteria, Jane Austen should be at the top of the list for creating Fitzwilliam Darcy.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say my first reaction would be closer to Jared's, but Jeanene is right it is only for a one year. Taking the word most "influential" in the strictest sense she has influenced many girls and women who admit to never reading but this is a story that is easy to read and has kept their attention and who knows when they will read their next book. Stephanie Myers is a lot like J.K. Rowling. She Inspired many people to read not only one book but several. To me and others who have a broader reading scope she really hasn't influenced me, though I really like her story and she has made me forget everything I have ever read about vampires and werewolves and wonder about her next book! I worry more about her negative influence a story about a girl who is willing to end her life to be with the bad boy. Women and teens seem to have enough trouble with relationships these days. Ok I know Kat has read them but she has read many other great stories and I am sure if asked Jane Eyre would be at the top of her list. I wish all girls could read that story and learn from her integrity. Sorry to write so much, Linette

Alisa said...

Stephanie Meyer made the top 100 list? That is surprising to me! I like her books too but had no idea they were THAT popular. Crazy!

I can't believe Noah can keep up with you running. That's impressive! And I can't believe you guys run outside in June! It's hot!

Those Polynesian dance lessons look really fun. How neat that they are learning those!

dhillman said...

I love the pictures in the previous blog! Noah on the tramp is soo cute--I need that face to add to my layout! :)
As far as the top 100--it interesting to see the different kind of lists that people come up with.
I have to agree with alisa--Noah can keep up with you? Like on a normal run for you, or a shorter version for him?
It is impressive. Good luck with your run in Provo!!

Green Family Blog said...

Well, I'm a really slow runner-infact I won't even call it a run it's by definition a true jog, slightly faster than my speed walk. It's pretty sad. Now Noah can't keep up for the entire time. But for the first mile he is awesome! When he wants to beat someone he is really fast. He has a very comfortable and relaxed stride. I love to watch him. Fortunately he inherited Jareds gift of balance and grace... My run(jog)is not so pretty to watch. Poor Hannah has taken after me in that arena. She puts in an average effort towards the running part. She really enjoys just holding my hand and chatting about the lizards and cactus blooms we pass on the way. She's my girl. I am grateful she seems to have a knack for the arts. She is very coordinated when it comes to scissors, sewing machines, drawing etc... Something I always admired in others, but lack myself. In fact she just got finished practicing sewing strait stiches on some jean scraps left over from her pants I cut into shorts. She has her little Hello Kitty sewing machine set up on her desk and practices on her own accord. Can you tell I'm a proud mama...