We had a really nice Memorial Day. We began the day with a hike. Great suggestion Hillmans! (On a side note I think I would love to begin every holiday or holiday weekend with a hike). :)
It was pretty warm, but that did not stop the kids from running the trail. I'm always conflicted between my feelings of concern and admiration. Concern- to far ahead without adult supervision-getting overheated-tripping over rocks which can lead to cracked skulls, a body inlaid with cactus and other things. The other part of me loves to see their determination and adventurous side take over and their ability to hurdle boulders, ignoring adverse elements all in the name of keeping up with the older cousins. My kids LOVE their cousins. If their is any mention of getting together with the COUSINS. The rest of the world falls away and that is all that matters. After the hike, we had a BBQ, and had a nice, simple memorial program where we shared stories and information about out ancestors, some of which served in our military. We sang patriotic songs together, which in and of it's self brings such a special sense of unity and gratitude. We ended the evening with ICE CREAM.
This is what sheer exhaustion coupled with a spike in blood sugar does to little bodies...
We had such a great time!

2 comments:
I will have to get some copies of those pictures! Kelly took a "backside" picture of the kids on the big rock. I thought he got the front too but he didn't, so I will share that one too. It is funny to see what is going on in the front and in the back.
Very fun, i wish I had thought to bring a camera. Oh well.
Post a Comment