Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ahhh Mexico...

I love our trips to Rocky Point. In fact I have based my entire claim to being a beach person on my experiences there and have found that in reality I'm a Las Conchas beach person. This trip was longer than past trips and yet not long enough for me. Next year we're aiming for a week.

This year we revisited old traditions and had a handful of wonderful new experiences. We had The Hillman's, and Jareds parents with us, and it was beyond neat to have Maryn fresh from her mission sport her Spanish fluency. She got such a warm reception. In fact after the Hillman's left we revisited one of the restaurants we had patroned before with them and was playfully asked asked where was the Mexican girl?


Rocky Point changes every year- It's starting to be compared to places like Cancun, and while my heart sinks with every new condo high rise I'm also grateful for the boost in the local economy. During breakfast on our way out of town our waiter Benny shared with us a little of his background that I found interesting. He moved to Chicago from Veracruz when he was in middle school. He learned English finished high school and returned to Mexico and joined the Mexican Navy for seven years and was eventually stationed in Rocky Point. While in the Navy he was a diver certified in underwater welding. (He hates the water now-and has no desire to dive for recreation). He mentioned the difficulties the Navy faced trying to fight the Mexican Mafia. He and his wife were happy in Rocky Point where there is plenty of work and opportunity to raise a family. He proudly displayed pictures of his three year old daughter on his PDA phone and expressed his excitement about all the growth and progress of the area. He loved the summer months because he meets tourists from all over the world who are discovering the area. It was at that point I felt ashamed of my selfish yearning for days of old when Rocky Point was exclusively Arizona's beach.

Rather than go on and on about each experience I'll show you the highlights through pictures.

Kelly cooked up the yummy shrimp we bought.

Kelsey's Coach purse gonga!Clam Digging!Sand Dollars too...I caught a crab! and it caught me...Banana Boat!!

4 comments:

dhillman said...

Thanks for a fun time! Your family pic look great!

Emili said...

What a blast! I love the pictures. I can't believe how tall Hannah and Noah are. So much fun. :)

Miranda said...

What a great family tradition! I am so sad to say, we've never gone to Mexico since we've lived in Tucson:( love the pictures of your trip!

Miranda said...

I have just spent sometime looking over your blog...OK Melanie! Why did I not know all these wonderful, beautiful things about you? I had NO idea you were pregnant! Oh congratulations! I am so sad I will not be here to see that little angel! And what an amazing photographer you are! I could have hired you while we were here! And I already knew you were an amazing person, with an amazing faith and spirit, but it just solidifies it all to read your words and thoughts and feelings. I will truly miss your family-you are special people.