Noah: "I can't the sun's in my eyes"!!!!
Me: "Just real quick, one two three open."
Noah: "It's too bright, I'm not opening my eyes."
The Jerusalem Dinner
I have made this more elaborate in the past but this year I kept it really simple.
Fish
Dried Apricots
Lentil Soup(from a can)
Matzo bread
Ashkenazi Jewish Charoset-chopped apple, walnuts, cinnamon, honey, grape juice
We do this to get a feel for some of the foods the Savior would have eaten during the Feast of the Passover-His last supper. We usually have this dinner sometime during the week leading up to Easter. This year we had it the night before. We first heard about this activity in Janet Hales book-A Christ Centered Easter. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book. It's fantastic. Another good Easter book is Max Lucados - Small Gift in Gods Hands.
The other tradition we have picked up is numbering Easter eggs 1-12 place symbols of events leading up to the resurrection of Christ with accompanying scriptures. LOVE IT! The kids really enjoy it. They get to hunt for eggs and have some substance as well. We did this activity on Easter after dinner. Though this year didn't go quite as smooth a previous years-it's a little more complicated with little hands.
We tried out the resurrection cookie activity, and well....we probably won't do that again. I've heard about this for so many years, maybe I've built it up to much. We'll see if the kids miss it next year.
This year we had family and friends over for a ham and potatoes Easter meal. It was really nice to have everyone in our home. Jared and I provided the ham, rolls and sour cream potatoes-and other provided some amazing salads and desserts. I will soon have the recipes to share. (On a side note I have walked 8 miles today so far in attempt to ward off the consequences of my gluttony last night.)
Some activities I have heard about is getting up before sunrise Easter morning and having a sunrise breakfast and discussing the Saviors' life. I think we will give this one a whirl next year.
I think we will also try and see the pageant the weekend before Easter to kick off the week. Instead of trying to cram in a trip to Phoenix right before Easter.
All in all, I felt we had a meaningful Easter and quality time together as a family. For that I am grateful.

7 comments:
Thanks for the fun time on Sunday and the yummy food. I would like the recipe to that asparagus salad if you get that one.
I love the easter in eggs too, my girls have loved doing that. I keep them in a basket on my table as part of my decorations, and since we know what they are from doing it for years it is a reminder to us just as it sits there too.
We have tried a few things that we didn't continue like the cookies and the "authentic" dinner, but that is what is fun to figure out what works for your family. And to do it early, change will continue as they get older.
Another thing that I used to do, it has been about 3 or 4 years now since I have done it, is use the pictures from the gospel art kit, one for each day of the last week of Christ's life and read a scripture and talk about what happened that day. You need a large space to line the pictures up! I used to put them all up with a cover over them to add to the anticipation and remove the cover each day. Now we like to watch the movie put out by the church that goes through those events.
That is one thing about your kids growing up that I miss, some of the traditions that I love and they loved when they were little aren't what they like whey they are bigger! But there are some things that you can do when they are bigger that don't work when they are little, so I guess that evens out. I just have to be okay with change! :)
I'm so glad you guys were able to make it. My parents especially enjoyed visiting with you. What is the movie your talking about? As soon as I get the recipes I will post them.
Sorry to log on again, I had to go look up the movie I wasn't absolutely sure of the name. We have vcr tape called Lamb of God, but I am sure you can get that on dvd now. I was confusing it with the shorter version that they play for the ss new testament class, that is called To This End Was I Born---somthing like that. They put out that version (I think it was that version) in the Ensign a few years ago, we gave ours to Mike and Sonia, is how I remember. Anyway you can buy the new testament class dvd also, it is about 15 minutes on there and then the Lamb of God is about a half hour. But they are like watching a movie of it, not just a slide show of pictures, they are really good. If I am confuing you more, just ask me next time I see you and I can show you!
I love your blog. Your kids are so beautiful. Several of your favorite books are my favorites too! Check out my list on our blog. I was surprised to see how similar yours is to mine.
I can't believe how big Noah and Hannah are getting! And I must say you are the most amazing Mom with all the wonderful things you do and expose them to.
Are you planning on going to Texas for the PA conference? Just curious. Love the blog!
Actually we are skipping the San Antonio conference and going on a Neurology CME cruise around the Hawaiian islands. We hope to see you guys on our way back from Utah this summer. Thanks for commenting!
Do you know of anyone going to the San Antonio conference? Dallon wants to go, but it's so expensive for him to get a hotel room by himself. I just thought I'd ask! Have fun on your cruise!!
Post a Comment